Wednesday, July 30, 2008

my new home

Carmen and I said farewell today. She left early in the morning and should be nearing her volcano by now.

Meanwhile, I treated myself to a leisurely breakfast and a hotel upgrade. The price jumped from $11/ night to $35. But $25 can buy you a lot here. ...a room with a private bathroom and hot water. Bonus.

The Casa de Melgar is in an old colonial house. My room is off the sunny and flower-filled garden and cafe. I plan to spend most of the day there trying to even out my tan. I have this odd hand tan from wearing long-sleeved shirts under the hot Andean daytime sun. My hands are about 10 shades darker than my legs, which have been hidden under pants, wool socks, and hiking boots. I brought shorts and a skirt but it's been too cold to wear them for most of the trip. Here in Arequipa it's warm in the sun, but in the shade the temperature drops substantially.

No comments: